Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October 17, 2010

     Rehearsals began in earnest today. I came early, as I usually do, in order to sit and visit with my fellow Masquer buddies. I was twice attacked by the tickle monster, a toddler named Grace. This baby Masquer has practically grown up on our stage and is a favorite of mine as she reminds me of my own granddaughter. Ian walked to the front of the fellowship hall and I took a deep breath.

     Here we go.

     Ian calls on a young man named Will to open with prayer. He says a simple, yet heartfelt blessing over us and our work. There is a special plea for peace over the pastor and his family of our church whose 28 year old son passed away suddenly. With the prayer over we are encouraged to attend the memorial.

     On to work. We do breathing exercises and body stretches. I have lung and leg problems, so they allow me the freedom to do only what I think I can. Though I used a chair, I did better than just doing deep breathing. I feel rather proud of myself.

     Next we split into groups. The principal actors go to the stage with Ian to run their lines and blocking. I’m in the ensemble. I follow our music director, Yvonne into another room where we study our songs. Many of us, like me, do not read music. Some don’t even have a clue what their vocal pitch is. No problem. We are all here to learn and Yvonne is a wonderful teacher. We are put into groups and I am delighted to find another woman who sings tenor! I call us altos with attitude.

     There is a lot of joking and laughter when little Gracie’s toy breaks out with “How Much is That Doggie in the Window?” and we all answer “The one with the wagglie tail?” Sara swooped her daughter and the singing dog out the side door so fast she looked like a blonde blur.

     The music appeared complicated, but after breaking it into smaller parts I quickly learned the piece. Okay… I had Yvonne play a couple bits over for me… very slowly. She smiled as she played the part and sang along with me until I got it. Ian came in once or twice to check our progress. When everyone was happy with our work we took a break.

     Now, onto the stage.

     We learn what to do as we sing our glorious entrance song that is so peppy it could be used in a Muppet movie. We are given numbers and become small clusters of happy shoppers in a mall. We stroll in from all sides of the stag until we meat center stage and sing. We are placed into new positions and I shuffle rhythmaticly across the stage hoping to remember where to stop and sing again.

     This is combined with the principal actors doing their parts. For the first time I can see the masterpiece that will become a crowd pleasing, God centered play. Finally, Ian gives us his memos. He suggests we are not all shopping at Hickory Farms. A young man quips “So we cut the cheese?” Everyone dissolves in laughter. I take my script and music CD home still panting. By the end of the day I’m hot, out of breath, and my mussels are screaming in protest.

     I’ve never been happier.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes, Grace certainly has been aggressive with the tickles lately. She likes pulling people to the ground now too, which I don't mind so much as it gives me a chance to perfect my dive-rolling skills. : ]

    ReplyDelete