Friday, November 19, 2010

November 14, 2010

     Ever have one of those days? I’d spent all week listening to my practice tapes and going over Ian’s blocking instructions. Finally I was off book. I’d memorized the entire play. Then off to the market to get my secret prayer partner his favorite treats. I need him to know I was there and was lifting his requests to the throne of my Father in Heaven.
     Anyone who’s ever worked with Masquers knows there are three things you must bring to every rehearsal. A pencil, an eraser, and your script. I’ve never had a problem with this as I have a passion for drawing. Paper & pencils are my friends and erasers were divinely inspired.
     Today my neighbor surprised and delighted me when she asked if she could join us for church. Yes! I quickly switched my plans around to accommodate this dear lady. In my excitement, I called for my husband to grab my traveling bag for rehearsal. We enjoyed a wonderful service and grabbed a quick lunch. She asked if she could come back. We were thrilled. John dropped me off at the theater right on time and left to take our neighbor home.
     I sat down and opened my bag. There it was… mocking me… my writing class lessons for the following Saturday. No script. No candy. No pencil. We had grabbed the wrong bag! Ian was already giving us our marching orders, so I decided to bluff it out. I said a quick prayer and went to the pre-school / music room. Turns out I did know the music, yet I remained nervous about my missing notes. When we took to the stage I grabbed a correction pen and a student’s homework. The blocking we received was easy, no dancing involved. Ian said nothing. Maybe I squeaked by.
     My secret prayer partner left my lots of nuts!!!! Just what my sagging spirit needed. Anyone who knows me knows my addiction to salt products. Chips of any kind are deadly. But nuts are different. There’s a food quality to nuts that my brain registers as salty but controllable. Now what do I tell my secret prayer partner next week when he has a sugar melt down with two bags of candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment