Friday, November 19, 2010

November 7, 2010

     We learned to dance today. I like telling myself that.
     Every day, millions of children are tragically born without a sense of rhythm. With love and training they can grow up to lead full and productive lives. Sadly, I am one of those poor unfortunate creatures.  
     Many years ago I had both rhythm and a waist line. I loved to dance. Time and arthritis are harsh taskmasters. I sat on the stage bench, watching the jazz age number unfold before me. The steps Ian assigned me were mercifully simple. Two steps to the right. Two steps to the left. Repeat. To my horror I’d lost my right foot and grown an extra left.
     I’ve spent much of this week practicing this most difficult move. My husband asked me several times what I was doing. He even offered to find some medicine for me if I just sat down and acted normal. Now there’s an Oscar worthy command performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment